Sunday, June 25, 2006

IMBA Summit in Whistler



Hey all,

I just got home from the 2006 IMBA Summit/World Mountain Bike Conference in Whistler, British Columbia. First off, the riding in B.C. kicks some serious a$$! I had much fun and got to see some of the most intense natural, enhanced natural, and man made trail features on the planet. I'll add some pics to this post when I get them in. There was lots of learning to be had, but most importantly from a bike patrol perspective, I spent a good bit of time riding and making friends with Barbara, the director of the Diamond Peaks Bike Patrol in Fort Collins.

For those of you that have "big vision" for cooperation of front range bike patrols, we've got at least three patrol directors open to the idea: me, Barbara of Diamond Peaks, and Keith Clark of the Front Range Moutnain Bike Patrol. I hope to keep these contacts going and increase cooperation over time. But those of you with the vision should send me a line or post your ideas. Once we're serious and have good reason to meet up, I might be able to schedule a ride with all these patrol directors to see what everyone thinks about cooperating at some greater level of organization - maybe a federation of front range patrols. I already intend on applying for a grant through the RTP program for the Boulder Mountain Bike Patrol, perhaps this is somehing that should be incorporated then. Importantly, the human and financial resources of each patrol differs significantly. E.g. while the Boulder Mountain Bike Patrol might benefit from some financial resources, the Diamond Peaks patrol has a good source of revenue already. This could present challenges or opportunities for cooperation. Mull it over and post your thoughts.

On a side note, my final day of riding in Whistler included a massive wreck. I've got the skin on the left side of my body pretty well shaved off and painful impacts to my ankle, hip, and rib cage. The skin is healing up quickly, but the ribs and hip feel pretty bad and may take longer to heal. I'll post a good pick of my injuries when I get it as well. It's pretty gnarly!

No comments: