Thursday, May 31, 2007


An undefended breath sails on the wind


The above line (if I remembered it correctly) is from a poem I heard recited at the Ned PnR after patrolling last Monday (I visited the new brewpub rather than ride home). With the aspen in leaf, blue skies, moderate temperatures, just enough climbing and such great flow on the trail, indeed my breath did sail away with ease and carry with it all concerns.


To patrol specifics: without confirmations on my patrol dates, I don't know if I was actually supposed to patrol, but I did anyways. It was a quiet day despite the 20+ group ride that came up on the bus with me (few cars in the lots). I gave out a map and discussed the trails with another person who already had a map. I managed to maintain my happy demeanor when presented with a snide tone from the equestrian sweep (twice) and tried to assure a hiker that mountain bikers are not "wild and untamed". Lost a wrench but found a spoon. The trails are in great shape except for some running water on Clear Cut (342). Fort Kiva has collapsed. Finally, patrollers should consider starting the day at Happy Trails, the coffee/bike shop in town. I talked to
two people about the patrol there while replacing a skewer (luckily someone was actually working in the shop).

No comments: